DUI Lawyers in Dunwoody, Ga.
The college life. You are an 18-year-old University of Georgia student in your first semester trying to maneuver the treacherous roads of college life. It is the fall semester and with the rigorous life of a freshman, you and your newly found BFF’s look for outlets to relieve some stress. As luck would have it, you all receive season tickets to root for 2017 SEC Champions, the Georgia Bulldogs. Every Saturday home game you wait in anticipation for your team to clobber their opponent. One of the great things about football is the tailgating events and after parties. You being a responsible person decide to celebrate, but without any alcohol. However, on one particular evening home game you choose to have two beers before and after the Bulldogs destroy fellow SEC rival, the LSU Tigers.
After you drink up the second beer, you say your goodbyes and drive a little over an hour west to Dunwoody, Georgia, for some family time. While on I-285 just about eight miles from your house, you get a hankering for some tasty tacos and make a quick detour to the Moe’s Southwest Grill off of Chamblee Dunwoody Rd. Up ahead you spot exit 30 and speed up to switch over three lanes to avoid missing the exit. Some fellow drivers aren’t too thrilled with your Hollywood action stunt, and their horns certainly let you know. It doesn’t bother you as now you are just a few feet away from ordering those delicious tacos.
As you are getting there, you hear the sirens of a police cruiser who is barreling down behind you. You move over to the right to let him pass but notice he moves with you. You think to yourself, “this can’t be for me.” But unfortunately, it is. The law enforcement officer asks for your license and registration because unbeknownst to you, you made an illegal right turn a few blocks down.
As the officer hands over your license and registration along with a traffic ticket, he notices a faint all-too familiar smell. He asks you if you had been drinking tonight. Knowing the consequences of underage drinking you deny it. The officer still suspects and after some constant prying you relent and confess. Unfortunately, your honesty brings with it some harsh consequences and the police officer arrests you for driving under the influence.
Now you may think that two beers should not constitute a DUI arrest. However, in the State of Georgia, underage drinking is an automatic DUI conviction and in addition, an automatic driver license suspension. You now face countless court hours, fines, court fees, attorney fees and driver license reinstatement fees because you decided to consume alcohol before the legal age of 21.
Arrested for a criminal offense such as a DWI or DUI in Dunwoody, Ga? Do you know your rights?
Even if you know you are guilty of a DUI violation in Dunwoody, Georgia or DeKalb County, residents should brush up on their rights during and after an arrest These charges are to be taken seriously considering that many of them can result in one or several DUI Charges. Unless you confess to driving drunk or you are there are certain steps that law enforcement officers must follow for their Georgia DUI arrest to stick. These number of stipulations have to be given, tested and properly handle by police officers for the arrest to be valid. First your BAC (Blood Alcohol Level) must be at or above the .08 legal limit. Second, some Field Sobriety Tests must be failed.
In smaller Georgia towns like Dunwoody, which has a population of just over 46 thousand people, according to the 2010 Census, most officers in several pockets of the community are familiar with the people whom reside within their respective limits. This poses a unique circumstance as there is a good chance for the arresting officer to know the person he/she is detaining. Nevertheless, they will arrest you regardless of familiarity. The great thing, under this unfortunate event, is that the detainee might know the most qualified DUI Lawyers in the city. If not they can search the web and click on a Top Rated DUI lawyer in Dunwoody Georgia. These DUI Lawyers receive high ratings for their work ethic and their continuous outcomes in these criminal cases. They might work solo or with other attorneys who’ve they dealt with in the past while arguing cases at either two court systems, the Dunwoody, GA Municipal Court or the DeKalb County Clerk of Superior Court.
What happens when I’m arrested for a DUI/DWI?
Besides the obvious of being taken to the county jail the person arrested needs to have a relative or friend post bail with their own funds so they can be released. If that is not an option or money is hard to come by then many family members seek a 24-hour bail bondsman to assist in posting bail.
A bail bondsman who can be also referred to as a bail bondsperson, bail bond agent or bond dealer is any person, agency or corporation that will act on your momentary behalf to ensure you are released from jail in a timely manner. A condition for this act stipulates that you agree to appear at your hearing on the date specified by the court. Failure to appear in court allows the bail bonds agent, by law to search you out, detain you and bring you the jurisdiction of the court whether it be at the Dunwoody Georgia Clerk of Courts or the DeKalb County Clerk of Superior Court.
After being released from jail the adventure of hiring the right law firm to represent you begins. Many people sit in front of their desktop, laptops, MacBook’s, tablets, or mobile devices for hours Googling where to find the most qualified DUI/DWI attorneys in Dunwoody, Georgia.
One of today’s most popular websites where many people have found success locating a qualified DUI attorney is Top Rated DUI lawyer in Dunwoody Georgia. This website specifies the most prominent and top rated DUI Attorneys in Dunwoody and DeKalb County. All of these attorneys are licensed by the American Bar Association and have extensive knowledge of DUI laws because of the countless hours spent in the courtroom.
Whichever criminal defense lawyer you choose they will work hard to develop the best possible game plan that may keep you from serving any jail time and even have your fines reduced. A first-time DUI case involving just yourself is one of the better cases to ensure minimal fines and convictions. However, when the case involves a vehicular homicide, then many people seek out DUI Trial attorneys who have the right experience in dealing with jury trials.
Which is the right Dunwoody, GA DUI Defense Attorney to hire?
There are a number of factors an individual facing a DUI/DWI conviction should consider when hiring a top Dunwoody Georgia Lawyer.
- How familiar is the attorney with driving under the influence laws not only in Dunwoody but in the state of Georgia?
- How many years of experience does this Lawyer have in dealing with DUI and criminal law proceedings? Note: If your potential attorney has less than five years then take into consideration the number of DUI/DWI cases he/she has been involved in. Just because they don’t have a decade of experience doesn’t mean they aren’t equipped to handle you case.
- Is this attorney strictly devoted in driving under the influence or driving while impaired cases? Or does he/she also tackle other cases like divorce, criminal cases etc…. It may not be a bad thing to hire a lawyer with a vast array of practices under their belt, but keep in mind that sometimes working with a lawyer who is dedicated to one specific practice might be the most beneficial for you.
- Relationship with the prosecution. Not all lawyers have a great rapport with the Cobb County District Attorney or Assistant District Attorney but it is always ideal to hire a DUI attorney that has a great relationship with the prosecutor.
- A common deciding factor for most are the fees associated with Dunwoody DUI Lawyers. Attorney fees vary from firm to firm. One thing to think about is the DUI Lawyers success rate in having DUI/DWI charges dismissed or dropped and your driving privileges whether reinstated immediately or getting a minimal suspension period. This is one important thing to consider if money is an issue. Depending on your financial situation, you can also opt have a public defender appointed to your case. Public defenders can help get you the outcome you wanted but with the number of heavy caseloads he/she manages it is wise to hire a top dui attorney in Dunwoody, GA.
- High-end looking offices: Don’t let some expensive looking real estate office scare you away and at the same time a moderate or lesser office shouldn’t deter you either. Always give any DUI Defense lawyer a chance to sit with you and advise you on your best possible routes.