DUI Lawyers in Doraville, Ga.
Arrested for a criminal offense such as a DWI or DUI in Doraville, Ga? Do you know your rights?
Whether you are found guilty or not, every resident in Doraville, Georgia and DeKalb County should be aware of their rights during any arrest, especially a driving under the influence one that can result in one or several DUI Charges. A Georgia DUI or DWI (Driving While Impaired) charge poses a unique arrest where a number of stipulations might have to be met before the charges stick. First a person’s BAC (Blood Alcohol Level) must be at a legal limit. Second some Field Sobriety Testing must be met.
An all too familiar story?
One minute you are cruising down the road in your 1964 1/2 Mustang, and the next minute you are sitting in an ice cold, colorless holding cell with nothing to pass the time, except ironically, an old ticking clock just hanging above the Sheriff’s Deputy’s desk.
What happened to you? Where did it all go wrong?
In this scenario, our driver Jack, decided to get behind the wheel after having way too many drinks. Jack like so many of us who live in Doraville, Georgia enjoys his occasional festivities and he lets the night take him where the fun is. Sometimes that involves the overuse of Alcohol and illegal drugs. Jack likes to dabble in some recreational drug use, preferably marijuana, even though Doraville follows a strict Georgia Marijuana policy.
Albeit still illegal the laws concerning the drug and its use have varied somewhat. Marijuana Under Georgia Law can be used solely for medicinal purposes. The recreational use of the substance is strictly forbidden. The law splits the handling of marijuana into three different punishments according to Code Section: 16-13-30, et seq. Possession of 1 oz. or less constitutes a misdemeanor charge with a $1,000 fine. 1.01 to 10 oz. is a felony, which someone can look at between 1-10 years in prison. Over 10 pounds is determined to be trafficking.
However, Medical Marijuana between 0.01 and 20 ounces is acceptable for patients to possess of low-THC (high-CBD) cannabis oil. A possession of the whole plant is not allowed, and you are not allowed to cultivate it. Also-TCH cannabis oil is legal in the state, but it is still unclear how it should be obtained. Georgia’s marijuana laws are relatively strict, but many counties in the state offer alternative sentencing programs for offenders. For example, treatment, in lieu of jail time.
Despite the laws and the number of arrests, some people still engage in the use of the substance and throw caution to the wind when it comes to operating a vehicle while high. The biggest problem with that is that many people feel that smoking it recreationally isn’t a big deal. But the fact is that it is a big deal as marijuana is still an illegal drug in Georgia.
However, we digress back to Jack. Jack decides one night while enjoying some down time at his friend’s house, that he would be strictly inhaling tonight and not drinking. He takes a couple of hits of marijuana and decides to head home. He takes the necessary precautions to ensure a law enforcement officer would be none the wiser of suspecting him of being impaired while driving. Plus, like so many other recreational users, he’s confident that there is no way you can get arrested for a DUI/DWI because you are high. Basically, Jack feels that police officers do not have the proper training to spot drug use.
In the state of Georgia, law enforcement officers have been well trained and are fully equipped to disseminate any motorist suspect of driving while impaired. Unfortunately, like so many other people, Jack found this out the hard way. The city officers like to set routine DUI checkpoints. Sometimes even close to a popular establishment like Mazzy’s Sports Bar & Grill, which sits just less than a mile from Jack’s apartment. Jack sure enough gets stopped and after the DWI Detection and Standardized Field Sobriety Testing was administered, the cops determined that Jack was driving while intoxicated.
Does this story strike a chord?
If it does the first thing that you need to do is locate and hire a Top Rated DUI lawyer in Doraville Georgia. These Criminal Defense Attorneys are the best at what they do. They’ve helped countless people in the above scenario.
With a population of under 9,000, according to the latest 2010 Census, these Doraville, Georgia DUI Lawyers are familiar with the court systems. They know what it takes to argue and possibly win your case with a dismissal or get you a reduced sentence. They work tirelessly in their office and spend a good amount of time in both the Doraville, GA Municipal Court or the DeKalb County Clerk of Superior Court.
Yes, these attorneys can be a little pricey, but the good news is that some law offices will provide free consultation. This can help because sometimes all you need is some sound advice from a DUI lawyer. However, in cases involving personal injuries or even death an attorney with 20 years of experience is always a great option.
What happens when I’m arrested for a DUI/DWI?
Besides the obvious of being taken to the county jail the person arrested needs to have a relative or friend post bail with their own funds so they can be released. If that is not an option or money is hard to come by then many family members seek a 24-hour bail bondsman to assist in posting bail.
A bail bondsman who can be also referred to as a bail bondsperson, bail bond agent or bond dealer is any person, agency or corporation that will act on your momentary behalf to ensure you are released from jail in a timely manner. A condition for this act stipulates that you agree to appear at your hearing on the date specified by the court. Failure to appear in court allows the bail bonds agent, by law to search you out, detain you and bring you the jurisdiction of the court whether it be at the Doraville, GA Municipal Court or the Dekalb County Clerk of Superior Court.
After being released from jail the adventure of hiring the right law firm to represent you begins. Many people sit in front of their desktop, laptops, MacBook’s, tablets, or mobile devices for hours Googling where to find the most qualified DUI/DWI attorneys in Doraville, Georgia.
One of today’s most popular websites where many people have found success locating a qualified DUI attorney is, Top Rated DUI lawyer in Doraville Georgia. This website specifies the most prominent and top rated DUI Attorneys in Doraville, GA and DeKalb County. All of these attorneys are licensed by the American Bar Association and have extensive knowledge of DUI laws because of the countless hours spent in the courtroom.
Whichever criminal defense lawyer you choose they will work hard to develop the best possible game plan that may keep you from serving any jail time and even have your fines reduced. A first-time DUI case involving just yourself is one of the better cases to ensure minimal fines and convictions. However, when the case involves a vehicular homicide, then many people seek out DUI Trial attorneys who have the right experience in dealing with jury trials.
then many people seek out DUI Trial attorneys who have the right experience in dealing with jury trials.
Which is the right Doraville, GA DUI Defense Attorney to hire?
There are a number of factors an individual facing a DUI/DWI conviction should consider when hiring a top Doraville Georgia Lawyer.
- How familiar is the attorney with driving under the influence laws not only in Doraville but in the state of Georgia?
- How many years of experience does this Lawyer have in dealing with DUI and criminal law proceedings? Note: If your potential attorney has less than five years then take into consideration the number of DUI/DWI cases he/she has been involved in. Just because they don’t have a decade of experience doesn’t mean they aren’t equipped to handle you case.
- Is this attorney strictly devoted in driving under the influence or driving while impaired cases? Or does he/she also tackle other cases like divorce, criminal cases etc. It may not be a bad thing to hire a lawyer with a vast array of practices under their belt, but keep in mind that sometimes working with a lawyer who is dedicated to one specific practice might be the most beneficial for you.
- Relationship with the prosecution. Not all lawyers have a great rapport with the Cobb County District Attorney or Assistant District Attorney but it is always ideal to hire a DUI attorney that has a great relationship with the prosecutor.
- A common deciding factor for most are the fees associated with Doraville DUI Lawyers. Attorney fees vary from firm to firm. One thing to think about is the DUI Lawyers success rate in having DUI/DWI charges dismissed or dropped and your driving privileges whether reinstated immediately or getting a minimal suspension period. This is one important thing to consider if money is an issue. Depending on your financial situation, you can also opt have a public defender appointed to your case. Public defenders can help get you the outcome you wanted but with the number of heavy caseloads he/she manages it is wise to hire a top dui attorney in Doraville, GA.
- High-end looking offices: Don’t let some expensive looking real estate office scare you away and at the same time a moderate or lesser office shouldn’t deter you either. Always give any DUI Defense lawyer a chance to sit with you and advise you on your best possible routes.